Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Unusuals, "One-Man Band": Murder, incorporated

Quick spoilers for last night's special Tuesday installment of "The Unusuals" coming up just as soon as I drink some milk...

So the tryout after "Dancing with the Stars" didn't go so well, and with tonight's episode airing after a "Lost" clip show, I can only assume the numbers will trend down further. Like "Cupid," this one seems to be living on borrowed time.

And I think I'm okay with that. There are definitely elements of "The Unusuals" that I like -- the wunza partnership between Adam Goldberg and Harold Perrineau, the nuts-and-bolts of policework stories like Casey's favor-swapping mission -- but it has yet to add up into something I'm going to be pained to lose.

I thought the mix of tones was better in this one than the second episode. The wackiness didn't feel forced for the most part. And outside of being completely bored by the story of the cop with the shady past, I like most of the characters. But, again, it hasn't yet developed that extra "it" factor. So I imagine I'll stick it out for however long ABC keeps it on -- hoping that it doesn't get the "Kings" treatment -- but barring some major leap forward in quality, I'll be cool when it's inevitably not on the fall schedule.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment