Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Is the Machine Shutting Down?

Long-time readers of this space likely have a hard time explaining the fascination with the Kurt Warner Machine. I even have a hard time wrapping my head around it some times, too.

The Hater Nation has gone out of its way to lampoon the overtly religious, the whipped husband with the overbearing wife, and anybody ever connected with one of the most despised franchises of all-time -- the St. Louis FC.

Yet I cannot think of a player who I have liked more in the NFL than Kurt Warner, outside of Pat Tillman. And even then, we are talking about a couple of opposite personalities.

So as a copout, I offer no explanation. The heart feels what it feels.

Maybe it was his rags-to-riches story. I mean, it seems to syrupy to even be a movie. At least not a credible one. His religious views never seemed to bother me, either, because he seemed like a man of conviction. Somebody who actually believed what he was saying. Not somebody for whom religion was a convenience, like Cris Carter.

Maybe I just really enjoyed watching him play. There is no understatement to what Warner has meant to the NFL. Two of the league's most dreadful franchises were nothing before him. St. Louis FC already has taken its rightful place in the league's cellar since his departure. The Cardinals will likely be making reservations soon. A move that will be hastened if Matt Leinart indeed takes over as the team's quarterback.

There is no real way to explain the fascination, but I do know that I will miss him if he does retire on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment