Thursday, September 20, 2007

FNL: So about that Good-Looking Corpse Theory...

So remember that part of the FAQ where I say we're only going to talk about TV shows after they've aired on TV, even if they're available via On Demand, streaming video, etc.? Well, I made an exception when HBO was airing "The Wire" a week early On Demand, and I'm going to make an exception now to talk about the "Friday Night Lights" premiere, which as Mo Ryan points out on her blog, is being streamed from now until Sunday at Yahoo! TV (follow the link and then click the Video tab).

Again, I ordinarily wouldn't do this, but while most of the episode is great -- particularly the Coach/Mrs. Coach material -- there's something that happens near the end of the premiere that has me incredibly disheartened. It calls back to the fears I expressed after the first season finale that NBC would renew the show and then force Jason Katims and company to "improve" it. I joked about a bikini car wash storyline, and while the premiere doesn't give us that, there are a bunch of scenes where the kids hang around the town pool, leading to photo ops like the one above.

But I'm not too upset over Adrianne Palicki and Zach Gilford in bathing suits. No, what happens near the end of the premiere is worse than I think I had feared, the sort of thing that has real show-ruining potential.

Beyond that, I'm going to save my thoughts until the comments (and there are going to be real spoilers there, so don't click through if you haven't seen it), but you'll know the Bad Thing when you see it. Anybody think they can talk me off the ledge about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment