Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dexter, "Dex Takes a Holiday": When Frank met Trinity

Quick spoilers for tonight's "Dexter" coming up just as soon as I fix the disposal...

As I've mentioned, when I was taking notes on this particular episode, I jotted down the thought, "I care so much more about Lundy than I do at Dexter at this point." So with him apparently bleeding out(*) at the hands of Trinity, I'm not sure how much more invested I'm going to be in the rest of this season.

(*) Let me once again remind you that talking about the previews qualifies as violating the No Spoilers rule, so if Lundy was shown to be alive, or dead, in the previews for next week's episode, I don't wanna hear about it.

Keith Carradine was great, as was John Lithgow, and the moment where the two crossed paths was as tense as it was designed to be, especially since both of them realized on some level who the other one was.

But the stuff with the regular characters? Blah, at best. Not only do we have to keep suffering through Batista/Laguerta, but now Quinn and the reporter's relationship gets more screen time. It's as if the writers, having halved the number of boring Angel and Maria relationship scenes by putting the two of them together, had to scramble to fill that space with a second boring romance involving a character we care even less about.

Dexter got to go on the hunt, and be scolded by Harry's ghost again about the limits of married life. But there's a rote quality to his kills at this point, as if we're just marking time until his path crosses with Trinity's.

Also, because this is the last episode I've seen in advance, the episode five review will be later (and, unless there's a big improvement, shorter) than usual.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment