Monday, October 19, 2009

How I Met Your Mother, "Duel Citizenship": Take off, eh!

Quick spoilers for tonight's "How I Met Your Mother" coming up just as soon as I bar the door handles with my hockey stick...
"I'm a Canadian. I was born there. My family's there. It's who I am." -Robin
"Yeah, I know. And it's provided us with a lot of laughs." -Barney
While Robin's Canadian heritage has, indeed, provided us with a lot of laughs, to my amazement I found the biggest laughs of "Duel Citizenship" came in the Ted/Marshall subplot. Between the running gag about Tantrum! cola, the belated reaction to the bad pizza ("It's like a hot ball of lead!") and Ted's complete despair at becoming a third wheel on what was supposed to be a dude's adventure (complete with an audiobook featuring the honey-dipped vocal stylings of Mr. Kenny Rogers), it was stoopid and silly, but very, very funny. And, like most of the better "HIMYM" storylines, it got at the core tension between people in different phases of romantic life. Ted thinks Marshall's being a selfish jerk who's ruined the trip, and vice versa, and they both have a point. (Though, as a married guy, I think Ted has the better point. Springing Lily on Ted at the last minute was a massive Road Trip Foul.)

And I don't mean to slight the Robin/Barney storyline, which had the usual physical mayhem we've come to associate with any full-on Canadian incident for Ms. Scherbatzky, plus a visit to Tim Horton's. And for once, a Canadian subplot turned into an excuse for the writers to crack jokes about America, particularly during the Foxworthy/Varney argument, when a delighted Barney proclaimed, "Not only are you wrong, but you are belligerently sticking to your guns and insulting me in the process. Robin Scherbatzky, you are an American!"

Maybe not the deepest episode they've done, but it was plenty funny, and after the debacle that was Joe Girardi's over-managing in Yanks-Angels game 3, I needed some good laughs, and I got 'em.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment