Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Still more "Arrested"

Since the show's almost over anyway, might as well write as much about "Arrested Development" while I still can, so...
  • Marian hadn't seen any of the previous four or five episodes, so right before we started to watch, I paused the TiVo and said, "Just FYI, Charlize Theron's playing a woman who's mildly retarded, only no one realizes it." She gave me the lemon-sucking face and made like she was going to go upstairs to read, but I insisted, "It's funny; trust me." "I can't see how that would be funny," she said, but she sat down. Five minutes into the episode, she turned to me and said, "Okay, I see it."
  • Two great references to actors' previous roles: the pre-plastic surgery Rita (aka a publicity still from "Monster"), and Buster singing "Mr. Roboto" in the stair car (just like Tony Hale did in that car commercial).
  • So Rita's parents were cousins, eh? Somebody ought to tell George Michael about that, especially since he seems to know so much about the California statutes about cousins marrying.
  • Is Bob Einstein ever not funny? He already had the best line of the year on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," in the episode with the Funkhauser anniversary dinner ("I said, 'Larry, do you want to get up and make a toast?' and someone said, 'Oh, he went home to take a shit.'"), and now he has to fire himself as George's surrogate. Genius genius genius.

More if I think of it. I have to laugh, otherwise I'll cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment