Tuesday, November 25, 2008

House, "Last Resort": Puppy day afternoon

Spoilers for tonight's "House" coming right up...

Gonna be brief tonight, both because I'd rather focus on getting all my "Shield" stuff perfect, and because "Last Resort" struck me as far sillier and more inconsequential than I think was intended.

First, we have the writers' continued fascination with Thirteen, and my continued lack of same. I may not have been crazy about the original three fellows, but I never felt like they were being shoved in my face the way that Thirteen has been this season. Yes, she's pretty. Yes, she's dying. Do. Not. Care. Can we please give Kutner something to do? Wilson? Chase, for that matter? (Though Chase walking out of the differential diagnosis was my favorite part of the episode, it also meant he was gone for the rest of it.)

Second, "Dog Day Afternoon" pastiches may be second only to "Twelve Angry Men" pastiches on series television, but they have to be done really smart to work. This one just triggered my eye-rolling reflex, and kept triggering it, over and over. I'm sorry: I don't care how stubborn House is, how myopic he gets about finding the answer to a mystery, even Gregory House does not give a hostage-taker his gun back. No. I will not follow the show or the character down that particular rabbit hole, and I have to basically pretend that it didn't happen or else lose all respect for all involved.

And they didn't even give Wood Harris (aka Avon Barksdale from "The Wire") anything interesting to do. Stringer Bell would have at least tried to introduce House and Zeljko Ivanek to the concept of Robert's Rules of Order, you know?

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment