Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's a wonderful night for an Oscar! Oscar Oscar! Who will win?

For those who still care about the Academy Awards -- and I'm not sure I count myself among that number anymore(*) -- I'm setting this up as an open thread through the weekend to discuss the Oscar-cast. I'll bump it up to the top sometime on Sunday. Only one ground rule: No spoilers about any of the nominated films. But if you'd rather talk about the movies themselves than Hugh Jackman's prospects as host, or the fact that this is the 20th anniversary of the most embarrassing moment in Oscar history, feel free. Open season on the Oscars.

(*) Even if I had seen more of the nominated films -- or if movies like "Dark Knight" and "Wall*E" had gotten more significant nominations -- I still doubt I would have much interest in the Oscars anymore. The problem is this long lead-in of other awards shows that suck all the life and suspense out of the main event. By now, we know more or less who's going to win and what they're going to say when they do. Jackman's song-and-dance skills aren't going to be enough to make me want to watch this on anything but a long delay with plenty of buffer in the DVR so I can liberally fast-forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment