Thursday, April 9, 2009

Scrubs, "My Soul On Fire, Pt. 1": It's raining abs

Quick spoilers for last night's "Scrubs" trip to the Bahamas coming up just as soon as I smell some freckles...

Bill Lawrence has said he wanted to do this two-parter to win an argument with mentor Gary David Goldberg. Goldberg, who created "Family Ties" and worked with Lawrence on "Spin City," said that sitcom road trip episodes are never funny -- certainly, no one was raving about the "Family Ties Vacation" movie about the Keaton family's trip to London -- and Lawrence wanted to prove him wrong.

Based on part one of "My Soul On Fire," I think Lawrence is well on his way to winning the debate.

Though some of the funniest moments of the episode came before we left Sacred Heart -- the revamped Brain Trust meeting, Turk's discomfort at JD's "downstairs" bump, JD (and, I'm guessing, Zach Braff) being eager to show off his ripped new physique -- there were still plenty of laughs to be had on location, like Turk choosing the pool over the bathroom, JD's seismic high-five fantasy, Turk's horror at seeing Carla in shorts, and Jordan estimating that her bikini bod is "50 percent real."

I don't have much that's deep to say, as this wasn't a deep episode. Where last week's "My Full Moon" was low-key and wistful, "My Soul On Fire" part the first was aiming for laughs, and mostly finding them.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment