Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Scrubs, "My Soul on Fire, Pt. 2": Hey Ya!

Spoilers for tonight's "Scrubs" coming up just as soon as I enjoy some ranch dressing...

I want to start off by kneeling at the altar of the musical god that is Sam Lloyd. We're eight years into the run of "Scrubs," a show that has made extensive and memorable use of music -- both pre-recorded tunes and a cappella reinterpretations by Ted's "band" -- and yet I would have to already place his slowed-down, acoustic rendition of "Hey Ya!" as one of my favorite "Scrubs" songs ever. I don't know if that was a pre-existing arrangment (the song's old enough, and was ubiquitous enough for a while, that I wouldn't be surprised if someone had done something similar before) or if this is something Lloyd came up with on his own, but it was beautiful, it gave me a new appreciation of a song I had long since grown sick of, and it seemed the perfect accompaniment to the reconciliation scenes for our three main couples.

So what I'm saying, I think, is that Sam Lloyd should be your next American Idol.

Having proved the point (as far as I was concerned, at least) that they could produce a funny episode filmed at a remote location with part one of "My Soul on Fire," Bill Lawrence and company (specifically, Bill Callahan, who wrote both parts) seemed content to move into more emotional territory for part two, as Cox forced Jordan to let go (as much as she could) of the fiction that they dislike each other, Carla realized that sometimes it's okay to be a wife first and a mother second (and Judy Reyes got her own chance to strut in a swimsuit), Janitor said something relatively heartfelt (and only slightly deranged) in his vows to Lady, and JD finally figured out the most romantic thing he could possibly say to Elliot:
"Elliot, I love you more than Turk."
Nice work all around by the entire cast, and the silliness with the imitation "Brady Bunch" tiki necklaces paid off well in a more dramatic context, which is the kind of thing "Scrubs" does so well when it's at its best.

And there was just enough comedy -- Kelso parking himself at the bar for the entire trip, Ted's ongoing sunscreen problems, Todd loudly high-fiving over the announcement of Janitor's name -- that it didn't feel like a complete 180 turn from the first part. Also, Lawrence -- who's always been very funny and charming at press events for the show -- acquitted himself just fine as justice of the peace Van, particularly his delivery of, "I am not a strong public speaker, nor am I that familiar with the Bible..."

What did everybody else think? And has Donald Faison ever done the George Jefferson walk before the way he did as Turk followed Carla into the ocean?

No comments:

Post a Comment