Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Middleman: Threat or menace?

So late Monday, I start hearing rumblings that ABC Family has canceled "The Middleman" due to low ratings, and that the cast and crew were told late that day that the 13th and final episode of season one wouldn't be filmed. I was out on set visits all day Tuesday, but put in a call to someone at ABC Family, who promptly called me back the next morning to say that, yes, production had been trimmed from 13 to 12 episodes, but that, no, the show wasn't canceled, ABC Family was thrilled with the show, was bringing it to Comic-Con this weekend, etc., etc., etc. And when I got home from all my set visits, I saw a post from creator Javier Grillo-Marxuach on his blog in which he concurred that the show wasn't dead yet, and that trimming the episode order was a concession to the show's lousy ratings. (Put it this way: when ABC Family came to press tour last week, "Middleman" was just about the only show on the network that the execs didn't mention at any point.) Sayeth Grillo-Marxuach:
and about those ratings? well...while improving incrementally, they have not been stellar, so we - and by "we," i mean the network and myself - have made the decision to make and air a twelve episode first season of "the middleman."

it is a decision that allows us to conclude our first season on a great creative note, and to pool our resources to make our season finale the best and biggest it can be.

in short: we are doing everything we can to delive "the middleman" to whatever the future holds for us: and a crucial part of that future hinges on your continued support.

so, the bottom line - the middleman ain't dead.
I've braced myself for the probability that this very smart, very funny, very weird, very memorable show will be a one-summer-only treat, but you never know.

Feel free to discuss this week's episode here if you want. I had it on while I was packing for my return fight but was understandably distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment