Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In Plain Sight, "Don't Meth With Me": Letters, she gets letters

Finally got to see the "In Plain Sight" finale last night. Belated spoilers coming up just as soon as I get my blood type checked...

Well I'll give them this: for all the griping I did about Mary's family throughout this first season, they at least turned out an interesting family-centric episode at the end. I still don't care if I ever see Brandi or Jinx again, but there were three very strong performances there, and the reactions felt both surprising and real. I like that Jinx obviously cares more about Brandi than about Mary, that Brandi had no interest in anything her dad had to say about her, and that Mary could be so vicious to her mom and sister (albeit with some cause). I also thought it was a nice moment when Mary declined to burden the very drunk Raph with news of her kidnapping and having killed a guy (for the first time, I presume), and the revelation of what happened to the meth was a great capper. (Though I'd be very worried about what happens to the next guy who tries to take a wide-angled, head-first slide into home plate.)

But you know the same old song I've been singing for weeks: when the show comes back for its second season, I want the focus to be on Mary and Marshall and Stan, and on them working the sorts of cases that are unique to the Marshal's office. There are enough strong elements here that I want to like the show a lot more than I do, and if there aren't some tweaks for season two, I doubt I'll stick around long, even in the summer.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment