Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Short, spoiler-free 'Shield' season 7 preview

"Jesus, Vic, everything we do to get out of this $*&% just drags us down deeper."

This quote is uttered early in the seventh and final season of "The Shield," of which eight episodes were sent out to critics last week and which I finally got done watching today in a marathon burst. And because the eighth episode ends up with several characters in unthinkable places, and because it's unclear whether FX will send out the remaining episodes, and because if they don't I'll have to wait more than two months to find out what happens next, I'm starting to regret my haste.

All I will say about them is that, as Shawn Ryan has promised, they are very much in keeping with the tone and spirit of "The Shield," and they feature the return of a number of figures from seasons past, from those I remembered well (Tavon!) to those I can't believe I almost forgot (Bottom Bitch!).

The one key difference is that, because we're close to the end, the plotting and quicksand nature of Vic's life -- as described in the above quote -- get even more intense as it goes along. This thing's gonna end in a trainwreck, and it's going to be amazing to watch, I think.

Look for a more fleshed-out review in next Tuesday's paper, and blog reviews of each episode from now to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment