Tuesday, January 27, 2009

House, "Big Baby": Is it that Mr. Sinnalinden again?

Spoilers for last night's "House" coming up just as soon as I watch "Fletch" for the 8,000th time...

That? That was a pretty good one.

Heck, I didn't even mind the Foreman/Thirteen stuff that much. A smiling, upbeat Thirteen (even if it's only for an episode until they pull the rug out from under her next week) isn't nearly the charisma vacuum she is when she's her usual nihilist self, House needling them about their obvious affair was funny, and all of Foreman's attempts to get the senior docs' permission to violate the study were nice showcases for the various relationships.

The House/Foreman scene in particular was a nice moment of humanity from ol' crankypants, in an episode where he was pretty on the mark about people's behavior instead of just being contrary for the sake of it. You could argue, I guess, that he nudged Foreman towards taking Thirteen off the placebo just because he's curious to see what happens, but he was so on the ball (albeit blunt) about almost everyone(*) that I think we're supposed to read that conversation as at least partly genuine.

(*) I kept dreading the inevitable epilogue where the teacher turns out to be terrible with the autistic boy once her medical problem was solved, and I liked the more optimistic take. Yes, she no longer has the automatic Don't Worry, Be Happy reaction to things like getting spilled on, but the surgery didn't completely rewrite her personality the way House assumed it would, and she cared too much for the kid to let a little spill bother her for more than a moment.

I also thought House and Cameron trying to game each other was very well done -- and a vast improvement over those times where they bring in an outside authority figure like Vogler to try to rein in House -- and the only disappointment was that it ended, and for a relatively lame reason. Cuddy has never controlled House this well. Never. It's a hallmark of both the show and her character that she either caves in to House, or he ignores her and she doesn't reprimand him for it. I quite liked this dynamic, and don't think Cameron was nearly the pile of mush she seemed to think she was.

Overall, though, a vast improvement over what we've gotten lately. Or maybe I'm just cutting the whole episode so much slack because of the brief glimpses of Taub and Thirteen laughing as Irwin Maurice Fletcher tried to get some info about his airline reservation. Have I mentioned recently that I went through a year of college where my friend Fitz and I never had an actual conversation, but simply quoted "Fletch" lines at each other? Is that something I probably should have kept to myself?

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment