Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Best of the '00s?

Every now and then, I'm asked to participate in a poll of TV critics, and I always like to use you guys to help brainstorm and make sure I haven't missed something obvious. This time, somebody wants me to pick the best TV of the '00s, picking my six favorites in six categories:
Comedy series
Drama series
Drama lead actor
Drama lead actress
Comedy lead actor
Comedy lead actress
Only eligibility requirements is that the series needs to have aired original episodes during the '00s, not that it had to debut then. "Freaks and Geeks" and "The West Wing," for instance, both debuted in the fall of '99 but aired the majority of their episodes after January 2000.

I'm not sure where I'm going to place a hybrid show like "Freaks and Geeks" -- right now, I'm leaning comedy, simply because I'm going to have a hard enough time as it is picking the final three spots in the Drama series category (the first three go to HBO's holy trinity of "The Wire," "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood") -- but I'm also told that if a show like that splits votes in multiple categories, its votes would go to the category where it got the most.

So fire away with your own thoughts on any and all of the categories -- and make sure to limit yourselves to six so you can understand my own dilemma -- and maybe you'll jog my memory on something I wasn't thinking of. And even if you don't, lists are always fun to argue about, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment