Wednesday, October 4, 2006

The Nine: Great start, but what's next?

I review "The Nine" in this morning's column:

Reviewing a new TV show requires a certain gift for prognostication. I have to comment on the quality of the first episode, but also guess where the quality level is going from there. Some series pilots give me enough information that I feel like I'm sitting in the command center of the National Weather Service, with real-time barometric pressure data at my fingertips. The pilot for "The Nine" makes me feel like all I can do is spit on my thumb and hold it up to see which way the wind is blowing.

As a self-contained pilot episode, "The Nine" is one of the two or three best -- probably the best -- of an outstanding new season. The characters are vivid, the concept exciting and the execution flawless. And yet it gives me absolutely no clue how good the show will be next week -- or even what it might look like.

To read the rest, click here. We'll also use this as the place to comment on the pilot tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment