Monday, October 2, 2006

Studio 60: Really, I ask you, is that all there is?

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" spoilers just as soon as I calculate the level of self-back-patting it would take for the human spine to snap...

Okay, we're three weeks in, and if it wasn't for Matthew Perry, I would be seriously thinking of bailing. The more we see of the comedy, the lamer it seems. So, they did a Gilbert & Sullivan spoof and a Commedia Dell'Arte sketch in their first show back? And they're doing Commedia Dell'Arte two weeks in a row? Really? And this is supposed to be better than what Beavis and Hack-Boy can come up with? Pimp My Trike? That's the sort of thing I imagine Dave Chappelle throwing out in a writer's meeting, then immediately saying, "Nah, I'm just messing with you." Science, Schmience? Potentially funny in concept, not remotely in execution.

This show is just so unbearably smug and self-important, and those things could probably have been said about the good ol' days of "The West Wing." The problem was, on "West Wing" I liked and believed in the smug and self-important characters, and here I keep wanting to punch them in the mouth and say, "Hey, until you can write material of a significantly higher standard than 'Bear City' and 'I'm Carol!,' please stop condescending to the world at large."

And the show gets a 9 percent bump over the rubber-necking audience for the Gilbert & Sullivan episode? With that noted ratings magnet Rob Reiner as host? I would make a joke about wanting some of what Aaron's smoking, but I'm afraid he would write an entire subplot lecturing me for being unfair to him in his times of public humiliation. (The only saving grace of that drunk driving subplot was the look on Amanda Peet's face as she contemplates the champagne flute.)

Perry is really, really good, and I'm warming to some of the supporting characters, but the more I see of the show within the show, the less I want to see of the whole endeavor.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment