Monday, November 12, 2007

Curb: The perfect woman

Spoilers for the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" season finale coming up just as soon as I adjust the thermostat...

Now we know why Larry's allegedly talking about coming back for another year, maybe even two. "Curb" with Larry and Cheryl? Maybe played out. "Curb" with Larry and the Blacks? Brilliant!

An up-and-down season got an up-and-down finale, but the final montage of Larry as Loretta's new man made everything -- the episode, the season, the John McEnroe episode -- totally worth it. Loretta getting up in Susie's face while Larry enjoys her protection and waves dismissively is one of the funniest "Curb" moments ever. When Loretta told Larry that they'd be moving out, I felt as sad as Larry did, if only because I was going to miss Leon and his advice ("You need to focus on some ass!" "Grow a mustache, man!"), and now, assuming Larry in real life decides to keep going, I won't have to.

I don't know that this living situation is going to be the status quo in the event of another season -- for all I know, the show could come back with the Blacks having moved out again -- but the possibilities are huge, as the glimpses we saw in the montage suggested. Larry as a parental figure? Larry with a woman who's as loud and confrontational as he is? Larry with a woman who's much harder to offend than Cheryl? Leon as an ongoing castmember? Sign me up.

The episode as a whole, like I said, was uneven. I liked the little moments, like Jeff revoking the $50 bet, or Larry and Lewis essentially breaking character (if that's possible in this format) over the "Ben Laden" mispronunciation, or Larry's interplay with the patient sign-in sheet ("You strike me as that type," "I'm not an inventor, but I'm an improver"). But outside of Larry's explosion at his assistant for mentioning the tickle in front of Michael McKean, I don't think any of the larger plot worked, falling into that "Curb" trap of seeming predictable rather than inevitable.

But Loretta calling out Susie? Damn. I need to go watch that again. What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment