Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pushing Daisies: He who smelt it, dealt it

Okay, so I know I said I was taking Thanksgiving off, but my daughter woke me up earlier than expected and last night's "Pushing Daisies" was so ridiculous and wonderful that I feel compelled to say something about it sooner rather than later, so some very brief thoughts coming up just as soon as I jump in a pool...

The silliness. My word, the silliness. I just want to list some of the many marvelously silly things in this episode:
  • "Follow the yellow thick hose"
  • "Jews for cheeses"
  • An odor expert named "Le Nez" (French for "The Nose")
  • The pop-up bookstore as parody of ultra-serious comic book stores ("Pop-ups aren't just for kids anymore")
  • Emerson reading Knit Wit magazine and then obsessing over pop-up books
  • Ned's bearskin rug story
  • Olive, when she wasn't busy falling out of her dress even more than usual, threatening to cut a bitch
  • The perfectly befuddled look on Lee Pace's face during the first decontamination scene
  • Did I mention the "Jews for Cheeses" t-shirt? From the Hebrew Feta Fest?
  • All the retro touches, like Emerson offering up a Klondike-5 phone number, or the aunts' wooden "slide" viewers
And yet, the moment when Aunt Vivan began singing "Morning Has Broken" was so sincere and beautiful without taking away from all the goofiness of the rest of the episode.

Pure, stupid pleasure that hour was. Again, happy Thanksgiving everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment