Sunday, September 13, 2009

True Blood, "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'": No bull?

"True Blood" - which this year became HBO's new flagship series, and its biggest draw since "The Sopranos" - wrapped up its second season tonight. Though I haven't been reviewing it this season, I did take advantage of the DVDs HBO kept sending me to keep up. (It makes kind of ideal viewing whenever I need to open mail, clean out my inbox, etc.)

I still find it a profoundly dumb show, and a donut show at that (Bill and Sookie make it empty at the center), but I have to admit that, on a purely pulp fiction level, there was some fun stuff going on this season. Now, most of it involved either Michelle Forbes or Alexander Skarsgard, but still - it's gone from a show I hated to one I... don't hate.

So, two questions for those of you who care more about the show than I do: 1)What did you think of this season, particularly in comparison to the first? and 2)To repeat a question I asked on Twitter after "The Vampire Diaries" had the biggest debut in CW history, is there something about vampires that you find inherently interesting enough to sample pretty much any movie/book/TV show featuring them, and if so, what is that? Because vampires in a vacuum don't do much for me - I have no problem with the concept, and have loved things like "Buffy," but I'm watching for the execution, not the concept - and a lot of the "True Blood" fans I've encountered clearly feel differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment