Wednesday, August 16, 2006

RIP, Gas Man

Subject line stolen from my friend Dez (in reference to his "Homicide" guest spot), but I remain bummed about the death of Bruno Kirby at 57 from Leukemia complications.

Too many great Bruno movie moments to list here, but I'll highlight a few: the tight-assed non-comedian in "Good Morning, Vietnam" (especially the "Eatie Gourmet" non-joke), pretty much every word out of his mouth in "When Harry Met Sally" ("You made a woman meow?" and "Baby fish mouth is sweeping the nation!" especially), his taunting of Daniel Stern in "City Slickers" ("Is this getting you hot? 'I need a price... I need a price...'"), his Italian speaking as Young Clemenza in "Godfather, Part II," and, especially for me, this one exchange with Matthew Broderick in "The Freshman" (apologies if it's not word for word):

"Rudolfo Lasparri of Palermo, Sicily? You want me to be Rudolfo Lasparri of Palermo, Sicily? I don't want to go to Palermo, Sicily!"
"Have you ever been there?"
"No!"
"Then I really don't think you can make an informed judgment, can you?"

Time to put some Kirby in the Netflix queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment