Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Friday Night Lights lives?

According to Nikki Finke, NBC is going to pick up "Friday Night Lights" for a third season:
I'm told that Jeff Zucker, Marc Graboff and Ben Silverman had been searching for a way to renew the critically acclaimed but low-rated Friday Night Lights for a 3rd season in a way that would still make financial sense. The answer came in a deal with DirecTV, now owned by John Malone's Liberty Media. Clearly Malone is looking to offer exclusive content to his satellite subscribers to distinguish DirecTV from its rivals on a content as well as price basis. "It's an innovative deal where NBC found a partner who will share costs and exhibition windows," an insider explained to me.
If this is all true, "exclusive content" would suggest to me that DirectTV gets to air the episodes first (ala USA getting the first-runs of "Criminal Intent" before they were on NBC). As I don't have a dish, it'll be frustrating to wait (unless it gets Hulu'ed early as well), but if the show can come back -- and if it can rebound from the mess that was most of season two, then I'm happy.

Say it with me: Clear eyes, full hearts...

No comments:

Post a Comment