Friday, March 7, 2008

Survivor: Mind over muscle?

Spoilers for the latest episode of "Survivor: Micronesia" coming up just as soon as I kill a shark with my bare hands...

I keep going back and forth on whether I'm enjoying this season. As mentioned many times previously, I wish they would stop bringing back previous contestants, because they inevitably come off much worse the second time around. (See the Jonathan-Cirie dust-ups in the previous two episodes.) But at the same time, there's been some very interesting gameplay by the likes of Cirie and Tracy, and I will never get tired of watching Probst and Jonathan go another round in their ongoing feud. (The subtext of every exchange goes something like "I'm the host of this show and you will respect my authority! Don't you see this awesome hat I'm wearing?" "Yeah, well I dumped The Nanny, Reality Boy! And my hat is much cooler!") And, other than Tracy, the only contestants I care about are the veterans, so maybe there's something to be said for recycled casting.

It was a pleasure to see Cirie and Tracy team up to give cro-magnon Joel a taste of his own medicine. Yes, there's a chance that dumping Joel could cost the team in the event there's some challenge focused solely on brute strength -- say, one of those "How many sandbags can you hold up on your back?" numbers, though we got a variation of it a few weeks ago with coconut basketball -- but very few of them are that dependent on raw muscle, and like James, that's all Joel was useful for. Ozzy can carry a team in any other kind of physical challenge, Ami and Amanda aren't slouches at that stuff, and Cirie's pretty good at puzzles. Yes, Chet may be the most useless contestant in the history of the show -- explain to me how a "superfan" is so terrible at both the physical and the social aspects of the game -- but he doesn't actively demoralize other players in the middle of challenges when things aren't going his way.

I hope Jonathan's leg doesn't get so bad that he has to be evacuated from the game (any "Wire" fans want to tell me if I used that word properly?), because the show wouldn't be half as much fun without him. Ordinarily, I hate when contestants start whining during challenges (see Terry's "Call the whambulance"-worthy performance during Cirie's original season), but I always get a kick out of Jonathan doing it, largely because of the Probst hatred that it's always wrapped around.

Also, while reality showmances usually annoy me, particularly in the scuzzy environs of a tropical island with no toiletries, I have to admit to smiling when Ozzy seemed to melt at describing Amanda killing the shark. So, she's gorgeous and she's good at killing stuff in the water like Ozzy? They may be a more perfect couple than Rob and Ambuh.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment