Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In Plain Sight, "Who Shot Jay Arnstein?": Marshall the critic

Brief, belated spoilers for the latest episode of "In Plain Sight" just as soon as I take a cleanse...

One of the weird things about having been sent several episodes from various points of the season to review before the season began is that I'm now judging episodes based on other episodes that have yet to air. The episode scheduled for July 13, with Wendell Pierce from "The Wire," makes a big deal about how people in WitSec are usually steered away from jobs that are both high-profile and similar enough to what they did in their old lives that it might lead the bad guys to them. So I spent the bulk of "Who Shot Jay Arnstein?" thinking about that episode and wondering why Mary and Marshall would have allowed Jay to set up as an art dealer again, let alone the type who might get to host a well-publicized (albeit local) show that could set off the radar of the right people.

That points to a larger issue with "In Plain Sight," which is that the show is much, much stronger on character -- specifically on Mary and Marshall, and on their interplay with recurring characters like Dershowitz and guest stars like Dave Foley and the woman who played Jay's mistress -- than it is on plot. In virtually every episode, I've questioned several events and why they happened the way they happened, but I like Mary McCormack and Frederick Weller enough (Weller in particular, who's threatening to steal the show out from under McCormack) that I'm willing to avert my eyes at the plot holes.

For now, anyway. Once I'm out at press tour and busy with a million things, I'm not sure I'll be trying to find ways to carve out special "In Plain Sight" time.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment