Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Are you ready for the summer?

The 2008-09 network TV season ends tonight at 11 p.m., so it's time to start talking about summer plans for this blog.

When I was growing up, summer TV meant lots of reruns, or watching an endless loop of cheeseball movies like "Just One of the Guys" (pictured above) on HBO. And while we could certainly have some fun discussing those movies(*), the boom in original summer programming, plus the existence of great old series on DVD, means that's no longer the case.

(*) For example, where does Joyce Hyser in "Just One of the Guys" rate on a scale of most to least believable Hollywood drag kings in a continuum that includes Gwyneth Paltrow in "Shakespeare in Love," Amanda Bynes in "She's the Man," Julie Andrews in "Victor/Victoria," Kristin Davis in "Sex and the City," and Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore in "Charlie's Angels"? (Streisand in "Yentl" and Swank in "Boys Don't Cry" obviously represent the extreme ends of the continuum.) Discuss.

So look for me to blog on the Summer Burn-Off Theatre run of "Pushing Daisies," on the return of shows like "Burn Notice" and "Mad Men," and on whatever new shows ("Nurse Jackie"? "Hung"?) happen to catch my fancy.

In addition, with the summer TV season just about upon us, it's time to finally get off my rear end and get to those long-promised blog reviews of season two of "The Wire" and of "Sports Night."

The "Wire" reviews will be done the same way I did it last year, with slightly different versions for people who watched all five seasons versus the ones who are watching the show in order and haven't gotten to the later episodes yet. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of schedule makes sense, but Fridays seemed to work well last year.

I still need to figure out "Sports Night." Some people had suggested doing two episodes at a time, both to get through it faster and to simulate the amount of time spent on hourlong rewinds like "The Wire" and "Freaks and Geeks," but between "The Wire," the other summer shows and my desire to finally use some of my accrued vacation time this summer, I think I may be safer to commit to one episode at a time, and we'll get as far as we get before Labor Day. Right now, I'm guessing those reviews will run on Wednesdays.

When I know for sure what the schedule on both will be (allowing, of course, for vacation disruptions), I'll post it here, probably early next week. But I wanted to remind you, as usual, that the blog doesn't go dark in the summer months, and there will be plenty to watch and talk about, plus the return (not today, as I'm too swamped with Upfront Week still) of the open thread discussions people like.

And in lieu of one of those, let me just ask you this: what shows (new, returning, or on DVD) are you most looking forward to watching this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment