Thursday, May 11, 2006

Questions? and Answers?

Spoiler space back in effect for "Lost." More after the jump.


What the heck was that? An entire hour where the plot moved forward, where the flashback revealed something we didn't know about a character, where I actually felt compelled to put down the laptop and just, you know, watch the show with no distractions like it was 1994 or something. Nice.

And I didn't dig it just because of my Mr. Eko fixation, though the moment where he and Locke began their version of Marvel Team-Up (or Marvel Two-In-One, if you're feeling especially geeky) was seventeen blends of awesome. I still don't believe Lindelof, Cuse and company know where any of this is going, but when they bother to dole out significant information like the true nature of the button-pushing Skinner's Box experiment, I don't mind as much. On the other hand, clever bastards that they are, each episode with big revelations always follows them with even bigger questions. Between Eko and Locke's shared visions, another appearance by Claire's psychic friend and his daughter's message from the Great Beyond for Eko, I'm thinking the producers have long ago abandoned their contention that every single thing on this show could be explained by science fact, not fiction. Not that I care.

Back when "Dave" aired, Matt contended that Jorge Garcia had "revealed himself as (Lost's) de facto star and its deepest actor." I don't know about the former, but Hurley's reaction to Libby's shooting and death got to me in a way that even Naveen Andrews and Terry O'Quinn haven't in the last two seasons. For someone who was hired to play the Wacky Fat Guy, he's almost shockingly good.

Now, I could reconcile the pointlessness of Cynthia Watros' presence this season (especially the insertion of Libby in the "Dave" flashback) if I could believe that the cushion of the blankets and the island's mysterious healing powers would save Libby and keep her around for next season. Instead, they shoved her out the door with Drunky McGee #1, and they didn't even have the courtesy to give her her token flashback in her death episode like Shannon and Ana-Lucia got. Sorry, Cynthia. I'll still always love you for "Titus."

What did everyone else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment