Monday, December 18, 2006

Dexter: Literacy is now welcomed

"Dexter" finale spoilers coming up just as soon as I squeeze some fresh OJ...

"Dexter" has been an odd show for me, blog-wise. I've loved it all season and am trying to figure out where it's going to fit on my year-end Top 10 list (assuming I don't wimp out and do separate lists for new and returning shows, in which case it would be near the top of the new list), and yet I've only blogged about specific episodes three or four times. Part of that was because I was watching episodes in chunks as screeners from Showtime arrived, which made it hard for me to comment much on where the story might be going. Mostly, though, I didn't have much to say. The show was so consistent both in what was working (Michael C. Hall's performance, the flashbacks to Harry's lessons, Dexter's relationships with Deb and Rita, the advancement of the Ice Truck Killer mystery) and what wasn't (office politics in the Miami PD) that I would have been repeating myself week after week.

But I was very pleased with the finale, particularly the revelation that the ITK was Dexter's long-forgotten brother. In other contexts, that twist would've been cheesey, but it would almost be cheesey to have these two meticulous serial killers not have some kind of common bond. It explained not only why Rudy killed, but why he was so interested in Dexter's past and present.

At this point, I want to open the floor for two things: opinions on the finale and the season, but also comments from readers of the novel on what the show left out, what it added in, and whether you feel the changes improved the work. I know a few key differences, like the fact that the ITK's identity wasn't revealed until the very end (and that he never tried dating Deb), but not everything.

Fire away.

No comments:

Post a Comment