Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Veronica Mars: Jagged little pill

Spoilers for "Veronica Mars" coming up just as soon as I retrieve my cube from impound...

Two factors beyond my control make me feel at a bit of a loss to comment this week. With the A-story, my job got in the way. With the Dean O'Dell mystery, I again have to blame my TiFaux, which is seriously messing with me of late.

On the A-story, way back when I interviewed Rob Thomas in the summer for a story about the process of writing the mysteries, he mentioned some potential "college-age crimes" he had been batting around the room, notably "this idea of a college girl getting pregnant, and someone getting the idea they're doing her a favor by slipping her RU-486." From the logline, I knew this was that episode, and as soon as Veronica met the roommate, I knew exactly what had happened and why, so I can't really comment on the playalong element. Did any of you figure it out in advance? If so, when and how? If not, who were you suspecting and why?

I did appreciate the sympathetic portrayal of Bonnie's father (played by Hey It's That Guy! Chris Ellis), as well as the first real father/daughter team-up of the season, even if it was briefer than I would have hoped.

As for the O'Dell stuff, my DVR pulled one of its more annoying tricks and spent a good chunk of the scene at Mrs. O'Dell's house (pretty much everything from Grieco's exit on) either pixellating, freezing, dropping out the sound, or some combination of all three. The world righted itself immediately afterwards, but I have no idea what Keith and Cyrus' son discussed, what he talked about with the widow, etc., etc. I think we're halfway through the arc now, and I don't feel any closer to understanding what's what, but I also missed a good chunk of what I'm assuming was useful information.

Lucky for me, the DVR didn't give me any problems whatsoever with all the LoVe angst. Yippee! Nasty, judgmental skank Madison may be, but Veronica cubing her car was over the line, and I'm glad Veronica realized that before it was too late. Beyond that, this is an aspect of the show that's never really appealed to me even in the good times of Veronica's love life (I wasn't one of the fans who was breathlessly wondering who was at the door at the end of season one), so I can't say that I'm any more bored with this than I was with, say, Kendall flirting with Duncan.

So, essentially, I have no opinion on anything this week. Which means it's time to open the floor to you fine people. What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment