Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fringe, "The Road Not Taken": Who ya gonna call?

A day and a half late, some quick spoilers for this week's "Fringe" coming up just as soon as I go through my record collection...

I can't complain too much with an episode that climaxes with Agent Harris being burned alive, now can I?

Overall, I thought "The Road Not Taken" was a solid episode that set things up for next week's season finale, with the return of Nina Sharp, Olivia confronting Walter about his role in drugging her as a child, the revelation that Walter's typewriter used to be William Bell's, and the Observer appearing (and speaking) to Walter.

At the same time, I have to confess that I'm not nearly as engaged in the "Fringe" mythology as I was about either the island secrets of "Lost" or the alien conspiracy on "The X-Files" at a similar stage. Part of it is that there seem to be so many secrets, only some of them possibly related, on "Fringe," but for whatever reason, I keep losing all the different threads and spend half of episodes like this one trying to remember key details from previous shows. The long in-season gaps between episodes didn't help -- "Fringe" definitely feels like a show that would benefit from uninterrupted scheduling, ala "Lost" or "24" -- nor did the number of episodes that had little or nothing to do with Massive Dynamic, ZFT or any other Pattern-related group.

Looking forward to the finale, though. John Noble is wonderful.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment