Wednesday, November 23, 2005

When Overrated QBs Collide

For a guy that spends his Sundays ripping on players, Phil Simms sure seems to be thin skinned, especially when it comes to his son. The former Giants quarterback was outraged when Steve Young had the audacity to make this comment about Buccaneers quarterback, Chris Simms.

"His dad was one of the greatest at being tough and handling all the criticisms . . . I worry that he grew up in a much different atmosphere, a laissez-faire kind of atmosphere. And I'm worried he really doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with the information overload that comes with the NFL."

A couple of things here; when did Young turn into Don King? Young might be the dumbest smart guy in the world. The guy holds a couple of degrees, yet he does not quite understand when laissez-faire means. The French phrase is a synonym for "free market economics" and literally means "hands off." See what happens when idiot jocks try to sound smart?

Phil Simms, of course, fired back.

"There is one thing I know my son doesn't lack, and that is toughness," he said. "And he didn't grow up in a laissez-faire atmosphere - far from it. Come to my house and live around me and we'll see how laissez-faire it is.

"I don't know how Steve Young lives his life, but I don't live mine that way. And I didn't raise my kids that way. You can say whatever you want about my son; the one thing that will get me mad, and I'll stand in your face about it, is about toughness. Who in the hell can be tougher than him, physically or what he endures?"

You know, Chris Simms sure does look like a tough guy when a dad is fighting all of his battles for him. The elder Simms then challenged Young to a fight at the flag pole at 3 p.m. But Young, being the chicken *bleep* that he is, backed down pretty quickly from his words as he rolled over on his back like a dog and piddled on himself.

"What I meant was the generational gap between guys my age and Phil's age and today's generation," explained Young, the former San Francisco 49ers star who entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year.

"It had absolutely no impact on how Phil raised his son. I'd let Phil raise my son. He can literally raise my two sons right now. I trust Phil implicitly."

Obviously Young is pretty laissez faire, indeed. You can discuss this further in the Hater Nation forums by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment