Thursday, April 6, 2006

Dave's not here, man

Seems to be quite the difference of opinion about last night's "Lost" in the comments for the previous entry, with reviews ranging from "jump the shark, completely embarrassing, tipping point bad" to "I actually really liked Lost last night." (Okay, so those were the only two opinions expressed; will you please just let me set up my false dichotomy?)

I'd have to go with the latter thesis, myself. A nice double-feint there: the Dave-as-Harvey twist was so obvious that I was on the verge of being annoyed until they revealed it two-thirds of the way into the episode. So I didn't see the Libby twist coming at all. Not that it's a mind-bender on the level of Locke's magic legs, or even Sawyer not really being Sawyer, but at least they finally have given a reason for Cynthia Watros being here, what?, three-quarters of the way through the season?

I like Hurley. He's not really like any other character in primetime, and he's about the only person I'd actually want to be trapped on an island with. (Okay, maybe him and Mr. Eko, because he's cool... and Jack, in case we get sick, but he's not allowed to talk otherwise... and maybe Sun and Jin... and... nevermind.) Anyway, I'm always going to be inclined to like Hurley-centric episodes, and this was an improvement over the last one, which just retread ground from the lottery episode in season one. We finally know why he was institutionalized, they've made his lack of weight loss into something other than a running joke, and they did this without fucking up our image of the guy.

Meanwhile, Fake Henry implied that Zeke isn't really a big deal with The Others, and that nothing happens when the clock hits zero without the button push. Of course, he's been known to lie before -- as have the writers -- but the Zeke thing, if true, could support my theory that there's more than one group of Others. How freaking big is this island, anyway?

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment