Thursday, April 27, 2006

Veronica Mars: "Look Who's Stalking"


This post will be about "Veronica Mars" and nothing but "Veronica Mars." If I've done this right, then all my actual discussion of the episode will be on a separate page, which I'm trying out due to the weird air schedule this week. Given that everyone watches TV on a different schedule, let me know in the comments whether you'd like me to do this with all the posts about current TV. Anyway, once more unto the breach, with spoiler protection:

So, I don't know that I owe Rob an apology, but I definitely feel better about The Gutte's role in the grand scheme of things after watching this episode. By making Woody's potential guilt such an in-your-face part of the hour, Rob and company have done one of two things: either Woody is yet another red herring or he is the bad guy and they're not going for some cheap, contrived "Gotcha!" in episode 22. If Woody really did it, I'm okay with that, because at least it won't feel like the writers are deluding themselves about pulling one over on the audience.

I'm leaning towards red herring myself, though. My current theory: Woody has a history of molesting boys, including Beaver and Lucky, and Lucky was stalking the Goodman kids as revenge for that, not for the bus crash. But I could be way, waaaaayyy off. We'll see. And even if I'm right, I have no idea how or if that would tie into the crash. Will we wind up looping back to Aaron as the big bad for two seasons in a row? I have a sinking feeling that he's going to somehow go free altogether, even on the attempted murder of Veronica and Keith, and we could have one of those "The Wire" situations where season three is devoted to finally putting away the villain of season one. Hmmm....

I haven't looked at any message boards yet, but I'm guessing the bulk of the fans are a lot more interested in the events of Alterna-Prom than they are in any clues about the crash. Again, I'm not a 'shipper, but when Bell and Dohring play a scene together like that almost-kiss, even I was on the verge of screaming, "Kiss him, you fool!" On the other hand, wasn't crazy about the scene at the door the next morning, not because I don't buy Logan wouldn't call Kendall over for a drunken quickie, but because that whole set-up (half-naked guy blocking the doorway as his love interest proclaims her devotion, followed by the awkward reveal) is such a movie and TV cliche that the only way the scene would have worked was if Veronica made a snarky comment about how embarrassing it is to go through such a scene.

(Also, my favorite Alterna-Prom moment may have been Veronica finally getting the bitchy upper hand with Madison. I hope that girl suffers far worse before the season ends.)

So, two episodes to go, a murder trial to be staged and a mass murder still to be solved. I know this season has meandered a lot, but now I'm very psyched about the conclusion, whatever it turns out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment