Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Things to do in Jersey when you wish you were dead

In between hacking up a couple of lungs today, I tried to cheer myself up by popping in my DVD of "Used Cars," one of the great underrated comedies of my lifetime. When we first got HBO when I was a kid, my sister Stacy and I would watch this movie over and over and over again. (Possibly the only movies I watched more during my childhood were "Just One of the Guys" and "The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training," and that was just because they were on more.) To this day, we still quote lines like, "If I can build and install a pacemaker into this man's chest..." or "Twenty-four thousand dollars? That's too fuckin' high!" at each other.

"Used Cars" may hold up on repeat viewings for me, but it was a flop at the box office and remains fairly obscure. It's far and away the movie I take the most pleasure in introducing to friends, and without fail, they burst into some combination of laughter and applause by the time Rudy buys the 250 cars. (If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about; if not, go rent it already.)

So before I load up on Tylenol so I can get through "Idol," here's today's open question: What book/film/TV show/etc. do you love but have trouble finding someone else who's even heard of it? I'm not talking about something like "Freaks and Geeks" or the movies of Terence Malick, that have small but rabid fanbases; I'm talking about something that makes you feel like the lone voice in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment