Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Boys: Where's Abe Froman when you need him?

Spoilers for the "My Boys" season finale coming up just as soon as I drive my Ferrari backwards...

TV Promotion 101: If you promise viewers that they won't want to miss the last two minutes of a show, you're supposed to give them something that will make them say, "Boy, I'm glad I didn't miss that!" In other words, you don't run those ads and then pair it with a final scene that leaves the identity of PJ's Italian date a complete mystery. I blame the TBS promo department far more than the "My Boys" producers (showrunners have little to no control over what kind of ads their network runs), but that was still badly handled.

TBS has ordered a third season, so we should find out the mystery man's identity next summer. I just sure as hell hope it's not the ballplayer. Talk about still not getting it. The problem with PJ dating an athlete isn't the ethical conundrum it creates; it's the perception it creates that she's not a serious reporter, but just some chick who got into sportswriting so she could bag herself a rich jock husband. That's always the problem with this scenario, and even after Jay Tarses explained it to her last time -- and for the independent-minded heroine of the show, PJ needs her own life explained to her an awful lot by guys, doesn't she? -- she somehow thinks everything is cool now that Dudemeister has been traded to the Brewers? Doesn't work that way. Not only do I not want to see these two dating when season three begins, but I really hope we avoid her career altogether, as those scenes rarely add anything but an excuse to do the godawful narration (which I also hope vanishes).

All that said, the rest of the two-episode finale had lots of what I like about this show. These last few episodes haven't had anything nearly as funny as the douchebag intervention (that scene may be the "My Boys" equivalent of "Let's Go To the Mall (Today)," a comedy high water mark that's going to be hard to live up to week to week), but as I've said in the past, it's just fun to spend time with these guys, whether they're taking hard pitches at the batting cage or attempting to one-up Ferris Bueller with a day off trip to the finest landmarks Chicago has to offer. (I especially liked Andy's continued "see anything good today?" calls to the Cameron-esque Brendan). Since the show is determined to turn "hang" into a noun, I'll go along and say that PJ and her pals are a good hang.

A few other brief notes, as I won't be writing about the show again for a while:
  • The actor who plays Kenny does a good Silvio Dante impression, so does that mean he can also do Pacino in "Godfather III"? (Also, "Capitano di Crunch"? Hah!)
  • Boy, that Andy is a lucky guy to have a friend he apparently never sees who can get him a corporate law job that will pay for a Chicago home with a yard and space for two kids, with enough left over for private school. Clearly, I have the wrong friends -- or the wrong career.
  • Am I the only person who has a hard time distinguishing between Michael Landes, who played Evan the botanist (and was the first Jimmy Olsen on "Lois & Clark"), and Jay Harrington? I actually assumed it was Harrington when Evan was introduced last week and couldn't figure out why the credit wasn't on his IMDb page.
  • Given that Jeremy Sisto is now representing the people in one of two separate yet equally important groups, I'm guessing Thorn is out of the running for mystery date, unless the show comes back next season with PJ explaining how the Italy trip was a disaster and she never intends to see that guy again. (Then again, that'd also be an easy way to get rid of Dudemeister.)
What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment