Friday, September 7, 2007

Tony goes to war

Today's column starts off with a review of the new HBO documentary "Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq":

How, James Gandolfini was asked at a recent press conference, was he changed by participating in a documentary about Iraq war veterans who had suffered traumatic injuries?

"I don't want -- it's not about me," squirmed Gandolfini. "I'm not trying to be antagonistic in any way, but I'd like the questions directed towards other things besides how it changed me."

The former "Sopranos" leading man has always been one of our most publicity-averse stars, a man who wants people to be interested in the characters he plays, not his own life.

But with "Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq" (Sunday at 10:30 p.m., HBO), Gandolfini has found a way to put his celebrity to good use. His presence as producer and, especially, on-camera interviewer in the film is going to bring it a lot more attention than the dozens of other documentaries currently being made about Iraq.

There's also a brief review of "Tell Me You Love Me," in which I try to focus on the non-nekkid aspects of the show. For the whole thing, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment