Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Big Bang: What a mess

Since I'm giving every other rookie show at least two episodes (and blog entries), might as well find something to say about "The Big Bang Theory," just as soon as I get a restraining order...

I'll give you that Chuck Lorre knows what he's doing as a comedy writer, even if 99% of the time what he's doing is a lowest common denominator sex joke. And there were some funny jokes here and there, like the geeks getting into a physics debate about the "You've got me. Who's got you?" scene from "Superman" and the furniture building tag at the end.

But at the show's core is this dumb, dumb bunny of a character, who somehow wasn't scared off last week when one of the first things the geeks said to her was that they had just masturbated for money, and who manages to get over that ridiculous invasion of privacy/stalking thing after just a brief chat with Silent Asian Geek and a stupid apology note from Leonard. I've been writing a lot this week about how I want my comedy to have some kind of basis in recognizable human behavior -- or, failing that, to be so unbelievably funny that I don't care how the characters behave -- and any real human being, even one this stupid, would have packed up and moved far, far away from these creepy losers after they snuck into her apartment and cleaned it while she was sleeping. And it wasn't like the storyline was remotely funny enough to justify that stupidity.

I'm done. Either "Aliens in America" gets good enough in the next few weeks that it takes its place in the rotation, or I just have one less half hour of TV to worry about on Monday nights.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment