Monday, June 16, 2008

andreikirilenkotattoo on TV: 'Middleman' review

In the second of today's columns (sort of; see below), I briefly review "The Middleman," ABC Family's swingin' new comic book adaptation. I never read the comic, but I dug the show enough to stick around to see if they can sustain what looks to be a very tricky tone. (I should also mention that the pilot's available as a free iTunes download, if you don't want to wait for tonight.)

And given the show's retro vibe, it finally gives me an excuse to link to YouTube clips of the opening credits for a lot of the Marvel Comics cartoon adaptations of the '60s: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, The Mighty Thor, The Fantastic Four, and the whole shebang. Most of them are quite heinous -- notable exception: the Spider-Man theme, which is so awesome The Ramones covered it -- but as a pop culture historian type/geek, I can never get enough of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment