Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Boys, "The Transitioning": Alright, alright, alright!

Spoilers for the "My Boys" season premiere coming up just as soon as I put my integrity up for sale...

I talked a bit about the premiere in today's column -- specifically, that I'm forever grateful that they dropped the sports metaphors from the narration, and that the stuff at Crowley's was a lot more entertaining than the stuff in Italy -- so I'll just hit a few points I couldn't in the paper, either for space or spoiler reasons.

First, we have Bobby as P.J.'s mystery date, which was probably the best option, all things considered. I didn't care about any of her three potential boyfriends -- and didn't want the Cubs/Brewers pitcher back under any circumstances, because that relationship made P.J. look like a complete idiot -- and the show has spent enough time dancing around the idea that P.J. might have feelings for one of her buddies (or vice versa) that they needed to come right out and deal with it sooner or later. They already dismissed a P.J./Brendan coupling at the start of last season, and even though it's been implied that Kenny has a crush on her, I just can't see her with him or Mike, and so that leaves Bobby, whom she almost slept with back in the series premiere. So, good choice, and I think there's real potential in terms of how P.J. tries to deal with her desire to take things to the next level with one of her friends without destroying the dynamic among all of her friends. As Mike puts it, "That (sex among two group members) changes everything. This is sacred."

And speaking of Mike, I'm not sure what was funnier: his lame McConnaughey impression, or the fact that the Crowley's waitress fell for it. (And is McConnaughey now the go-to impression for men under a certain age? I'm surprised by how many guys I know, myself included, who'll launch into a bit of MCConnaughey-as-Wooderson bit under the right circumstances.) Really, I enjoyed all of the shenanigans at Crowley's: Andy getting a little too into his new merchant-of-death gig, Brendan despairing at the thought of having to play adult contemporary, Kenny convincing himself that Bobby was in danger, and everybody else telling Kenny to leave it alone.

Glad to have the show back. And if next week -- also free of both sports metaphors and scenes of P.J. doing her job -- is any indication, the producers actually recognized their weakest points and tried to eliminate them.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment