Monday, June 16, 2008

In Plain Sight, "Here Comes the Bride": Slutty Mary

Brief spoilers for episode three of "In Plain Sight" coming up just as soon as I work on my lasso skills...

Of the five episodes of "In Plain Sight" I've seen (including next week's with Dave Foley and one down the road with Wendell Pierce), "Here Comes the Bride" was the most overtly farcical, even with guest star Missi Pyle doing relatively subdued work compared to what she's usually asked to do. We had the runner about Marshall taking mambo lessons (and the boss showing him the right way to do it), Mary having to tart herself up and then try to take out bad guys in two very uncomfortable, revealing outfits, and that wonderful moment at the end where Dershowitz the cop rode by in the background, pulling the second bad guy along with him. (That was much better than had we actually watched the rest of that chase go down.)

And because it was quite funny, I didn't mind the predictability of the story (Mary was so convinced that the Missi character was unreformed that of course she would turn out to be), or the waste of Joanna Cassidy as Missi's prospective mother-in-law (a paycheck's a paycheck, I guess), or that I'm supposed to buy the thirtysomething Cristian De La Fuente as a promising minor league baseball player (though I suppose he could be a Crash Davis career minor league type who's hitting well at a position where the big league club is thin).

The show's not always deep, but I'm really digging it.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment