Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What's Alan reading?

I don't discuss books too much here, but the impending release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" has me wondering how long the media is going to be willing and/or able to keep a lid on the ending -- specifically, the matter of who lives and who dies.

The "Sopranos" finale was being discussed openly in print, radio and TV the very next day, but of course there's the assumption that the majority of people who cared watched it when it first aired. People read books at their own pace, especially weighty tomes like J.K. Rowling's been writing since "Goblet of Fire."

I'm sure some bloggers are going to be paging through to the last chapter and posting about it within an hour of returning from the bookstore, but how long do you think editors and news directors and the various gatekeepers of impossible-to-ignore Big Media will be able to restrain themselves from talking about the ending in such a way that anyone who hasn't finished the book will be screwed? A week? Two days? A few hours?

I have a semi-vested interest in the answer, as I'll still be at press tour when the book comes out. Under ordinary circumstances, I'd just wait until I returned home, pick up my copy of the Jim Dale audiobook and listen at my leisure. But I fear I don't have that kind of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment