Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Are you ready for the summer?

Tonight marks the end of the official 2007-8 TV season, though that distinction is becoming more and more meaningless as everyone moves to year-round programming. (It's especially meaningless this year because the strike pushed back things like the "Grey's Anatomy" (tomorrow night) and "Lost" (next Thursday) finales past the Nielsen-mandated end date.)

Still, a good chunk of the shows I regularly write about won't be back until the fall, and so once again it's time to talk about what the summer months will bring for the blog. Tentative plans coming up just as soon as I clean off my propane grill...

Obviously, we still have the aforementioned "Grey's" and "Lost" two-hour finales to deal with, plus additional episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" (3 left) and "Doctor Who" (6 left), though both are, like me, taking Memorial Day weekend off.

While the strike disrupted some summer programming, "Mad Men" and "Burn Notice" will both be back in July (no specific date yet for the former, July 10 for the latter), "My Boys" is back on June 13, HBO's David Simon-produced miniseries "Generation Kill" bows on July 13, CBS' "Swingtown" (which I haven't watched yet) is on June 5, and USA's "In Plain Sight," which I have high hopes for, starts on June 1. There are probably a few other new and returning shows that will work their way into the rotation before the summer's out.

In addition, I'm finally going to attempt two projects that I originally mentioned in the early days of the strike: revisiting the first seasons of "The Wire" and "Sports Night." Last summer, I ran through the entire run of "Freaks and Geeks," and I spent the strike watching the original version of "Cupid" on YouTube, so these will be continuing that trend.

The "Wire" reviews are a definite; I've already gone back and watched the pilot and will attempt to do them on at least a weekly basis (give or take some disruptions for press tour and/or vacation) starting some time late next week. (I'll announce the exact day ahead of time; I just wanted to put the thought in people's heads so they'd know to make sure they had DVDs handy.) I don't want to 100 percent commit to "Sports Night," simply because it's 22 episodes and I don't know that I want to be doubling up on them. Once I figure out the logistics, I'll make an announcement.

That's what I have in my head so far. As always, I'm open to suggestions, though, as always, I reserve the right to not use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment