Saturday, May 17, 2008

Doctor Who, "The Sontaran Stratagem": Companions collide

No "Battlestar Galactica" review until tonight at the earliest, as I haven't seen it yet. Quick spoilers for last night's "Doctor Who" coming up just as soon as I disable my GPS device...

Not a fan of this one, though some of that may be alleviated if part two justifies all this set-up. But "The Sontaran Stratagem" felt too busy, too cheesey (the Sontarans themselves are the first villains in a while to remind me that "Doctor Who" is meant as a kid's show), and too repetitive of other "Who" episodes. We already did the "corporation with a wonderful problem-solving product turns out to be an alien front" gag only a few weeks ago in "Partners in Crime," and the Donna/Martha meeting felt very reminiscent of Rose and Sarah Jane's encounter in season two, where The Doctor worries his new girl and his old one won't get along, and instead they bond over their various issues with him.

This is also the first episode of the season where I've watched the Sci Fi edit, so for all I know, there was some interesting stuff that got left on the cutting room floor, but this was a disappointment. Hopefully, next week's better.

(And speaking of which, I again ask you to respect the American air schedule; if you've seen the next few British episodes, don't discuss them in any way, or else I'll just delete the comments.)

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment