Friday, May 9, 2008

Scrubs, "My Princess": Bad magic

Spoilers for the "Scrubs" finale -- the NBC finale, anyway -- coming up just as soon as I put some product in my hair...

You know what? I take back most of what I said in yesterday's column about not wanting to see another (mostly) full season. Because "My Princess" would have been a really lousy ending for a once-great series.

It was out-of-episode-order in a way that was far more jarring than Dr. Cox's disappearing/reappearing crew cut last year. After spending so much time building up to Kelso leaving his job, they then give us an episode that takes place before he quit? I get that the fantasy scenes might have made this seem like a more appropriate/promotable season-ender to NBC than last week's show, but this is the most annoying NBC continuity screw-up since Crosetti was dead on "Homicide" before the episode where he actually died.

Meanwhile, the promised "Princess Bride" homage turned out to be more of a generic fairy tale homage, with only one explicit reference to the movie (Cox the knight's "You're killing my friend. Prepare to die" gag). With the smoke monster, the episode was as much of an homage to "Lost" as it was to the adventures of Westley, Buttercup and Inigo.

But I would have forgiven either or both of those things if the episode was funny, and for the most part, it wasn't. (The staff finally figuring out how to deal with The Todd was a rare comic highlight.) I thought John C. McGinley and Christa Miller did a nice job with the pathos of the final moments (the revelation that, in the non-fairy tale version of the story, the beautiful maiden died), but very little in the episode lived up to or justified the effort and expense of translating all of the characters into the fairy tale world.

I don't know that all 18 ABC episodes are going to be satisfying, but I have to believe that the real finale Bill Lawrence wanted to do will be much better than this.

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment