Sunday, May 6, 2007

Entourage: Hungry like a Jew

I'm on a mini-vacation to meet my new nephew, but if I have the time over the next few days, I'm going to punch out short reviews of shows I had watched in advance (plus "Sopranos," which I'm putting the trip on hold to watch for the sake of the weekly Rewind column). So that means no to "Amazing Race" or "Heroes" or "Idol" or "Gilmore Girls," but hopefully yes to reviewing "HIMYM" and "Veronica Mars," "The Shield" and, right now, "Entourage." Spoilers ho...

Of the five episodes HBO sent out for review, this was by far the highlight, because it does what "Entourage" does best: put Ari in a situation where he has to make a deal under impossible circumstances. Usually, those circumstances involve Vince being a flake, but the twist here of forcing him to operate on the holiest of high holy days without his car, his phones or any food in his belly -- and with Adam Goldberg, possibly the only age-equivalent actor in Hollywood as capable of explosive, neurotic rage, riding shotgun -- made this one of my favorite of this type of "Entourage" episodes ever. (Best line: Goldberg's, "Hey, my life is falling apart! I haven't eaten in 10 hours!" -- which of course means he was eating somewhere in the middle of the 24 hour-plus fast.)

That said, I'm assuming Amanda's gone now, and if so, the whole storyline feels like a waste of Carla Gugino. I'm glad Amanda got to leave with her dignity and a bit of the moral high ground by showing just how full of crap Vince was at the end, but I'm sure next week history will be rewritten to make all of this her fault, just like Vince's career troubles in the first half of this season was blamed on Ari, when Vince was 90% responsible. This show goes out of its way to never make Vince look bad for very long, and I imagine that'll happen here, too.

Still, Ari's back in the picture and going nuts, and that's always fun. What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment