Thursday, May 17, 2007

Upfront Watch: CW, take two

They finally issued the press release, which you can read here. When I'm done with the Fox call and my early print deadline, I'll try to come back with some thoughts.

UPDATE: As I mentioned in the "Veronica" post below, Rob Thomas said all his writers are accepting job offers from other shows. It's over. Meanwhile, full CW schedule and a few thoughts after the jump...

MONDAY
8:00-8:30 PM EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS
8:30-9:00 PM ALIENS IN AMERICA (New Series)
9:00-9:30 PM GIRLFRIENDS
9:30-10:00 PM THE GAME

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM BEAUTY AND THE GEEK
9:00-10:00 PM REAPER (New Series)

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM AMERICA�S NEXT TOP MODEL
9:00-10:00 PM GOSSIP GIRL (New Series)

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SMALLVILLE
9:00-10:00 PM SUPERNATURAL

FRIDAY
8:00-10:00 PM FRIDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN!

SUNDAY
7:00-7:30 PM CW NOW (New Series)
7:30-8:00 PM ONLINE NATION (New Series)
8:00-9:00 PM LIFE IS WILD (New Series)
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICA�S NEXT TOP MODEL (Encore Presentation)

So, a few thoughts:
  • I can't let myself get too angry about the death of "Veronica." Dawn gave it three seasons when it arguably only deserved one. They put it after UPN's highest-rated show. Then they put it on after the most-compatible series on either UPN or the WB. People didn't want to watch.
  • Kevin Smith directs the "Reaper" pilot, and while I love the guy's work, he's not someone I'd hire in a director-only capacity. Writer-only, sure. But not the other way. Also, since "Reaper" stars Brett Harrison, "The Loop" is dead after its upcoming 10-episode (or less, depending on ratings) run on Fox.
  • I'll give "Gossip Girl" a look out of Josh Schwartz loyalty, but unless one of the pilots unexpectedly wows me, I don't know that I'll be watch much of the network next season. I'm technically still in their demo, but just barely.

What does everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment