Friday, May 11, 2007

The Office: Fire, walk with me

Spoilers for "The Office" coming right up...

Way to go, Pammy! Oh, wait, I forgot I'm not supposed to call you Pammy. Anyway, not only did you finally find the courage to confront the office in general and Jim in particular about how lonely you've been this season, but you saved what had until that point been one of this season's weaker episodes.

The early scenes had promise: Meredith accidentally flashing the camera, Toby's look of despair at the news that he would miss Pam in a bikini (not that any of us saw that) and the cross-cutting between him alone in the office and the group singalong of "The Gambler," Kevin's declaration that "I just want to sit on the beach and eat hot dogs. That's all I've ever wanted," etc.

But once we got to Lake Scranton and Michael started doing the world's worst Jeff Probst impersonation, the humor got very strained (with brief exceptions like Stanley's speech, Oscar's contemplation of heterosexuality, Dwight failing to tell The Aristocrats joke, or Team Voldemort's chant). I just kept waiting for Phyllis to pull Michael aside and do her "Don't think, just tell me who you want to replace you" trick so he could say "Jim" and we could all move on to something else.

But then came Pam's speech, and I'm sure every Jam'ers heart grew two times as big after hearing that bit of courage. A very nice moment for Jenna Fischer, and something that needed to happen already. I'm not ready to lose Karen yet, even though I imagine she's a shoo-in for the corporate job, but I miss Pam and Jim having fun, too, whether or not they ever really try dating.

What did everybody else think? And do any of you know all the words to the "Flintstones" theme's second verse?

No comments:

Post a Comment