Friday, May 4, 2007

Grey's Anatomy: Tongue sandwich

I'm busy packing for a trip that will have me out of town through the middle of next week (and may keep this blog silent outside of my thoughts on "Sopranos" and maybe "HIMYM" if I have time), and I've been struggling to find something to say about the two-hour "Grey's Anatomy"/"Private Practice" backdoor pilot episode, so I'm going to make this quick after the jump...

Okay, remember what I said about being glad that Kate Walsh was getting to escape the mess that the "Grey's" mothership had turned into? Nevermind, because I feel just as uninspired to tune into "Private Practice" when it gets its own timeslot in the fall as I will to watch season four of "Grey's." Take a collection of actors I like, ratchet up Shonda's innate David E. Kelley tendencies to 11, and insert references to sex every 5.9 seconds (complete with a slo-mo beefcake salute to Piz that was like a gender-bendered version of Phoebe Cates in her "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" bikini) and you have a show that feels completely inessential to my life. Didn't hate it, but don't particularly need to see it again, even though Amy Brenneman has better comic chops than I remembered from he brief period when I watched "Judging Amy."

Some decent moments in the brief interludes back at Seattle: Callie and Cristina bonding over their complete disinterest in the girlie wedding stuff, Bailey forcing George and Burke to bounce their relationship problems off each other instead of her (and kudos to T.R. Knight for not seeming disgusted every time he and Isaiah have a scene together), and Meredith's early scenes with her dad and stepmom. However, killing off Mare Winningham felt like another cheap excuse for Meredith to drown in her own sorrows again, just as she was becoming vaguely appealing in her functionality. The scene where Thatcher slapped her was well-played by Pompeo and Jeff Perry, but having Meredith experience a reasonably comfortable family life seems like a more interesting, novel direction to take the character for a while than to make her suffer in solitude again, you know?

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment