Monday, April 14, 2008

All TV: 'Boston Legal,' 'Role Model: Gene Wilder' reviews

Today's column is a two-fer, starting off with me trying to come to grips with a certain recent repeat "Boston Legal" Emmy winner:
Okay, I think I understand the James Spader Emmy thing now.

Spader has won the lead drama actor Emmy three of the last four years -- beating the likes of James Gandolfini, Hugh Laurie, Martin Sheen and Ian McShane in the process -- for his work as eccentric attorney Alan Shore. And other than that first win, when Spader's oily charisma resucitated "The Practice" just long enough for it to reincarnate as "Boston Legal," Spader's continued awards show success has inspired disbelief and outright derision from everyone not among the 10 million or so people who tune into "Boston Legal" each week.

You can count me as one of the disbelievers - the lead paragraph for my most recent Emmy recap story was, "Didn't I warn you not to watch the Emmys? James Spader? Really?" - as well as one of the non-viewers of "Boston Legal." Whatever admiration I had for the work of Spader, or of multiple Emmy-winning co-star William Shatner wasn't enough to make me subject myself to the continued idiosyncracies and fetishes of writer/producer David E. Kelley, who never met a moment of recognizable human behavior he couldn't stamp out of a script.
After that, I look at TCM's entry in the celebrities-interviewing-celebrities genre, where Alec Baldwin and Gene Wilder chat about Wilder's career. This exchange is a highlight:
There are personal parallels as well. While discussing the passion in Wilder's "Young Frankenstein" performance, Baldwin asks, "What was coming out of you?"

"Rage," Wilder explains. "Rage at my first wife. We'll have to talk about that one day."

"I'll get a pen," says Baldwin, he of the infamous marital issues.
To read the full thing, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment