Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We have our Cupid: Bobby Cannavale

Well, we now have one half of our "Cupid" remake equation: Bobby Cannavale has been cast in the title role.

Cannavale isn't one of the many names that got tossed around whenever we discussed it here on the blog (Alan Tudyk, Matthew Perry, Paul Rudd), no doubt because he hasn't had a very high profile of late. His last few pilots didn't get picked up, and other than "Snakes On a Plane," he's either worked on Broadway or in very small-scale movies recently.

But when I heard the name, I finally had my "eureka!" moment. They still need to find an actress who can play as well against him as Paula Marshall did with Jeremy Piven, but having seen a lot of Cannavale over the years -- everything from "Third Watch" to "Oz" to "Kingpin" to "The Station Agent" to his role as Funky Spunk on "Sex and the City" -- I have no doubt he can play all of the colors required for Trevor Hale.

He can be manic, annoying and yet charming (see the "Can I come?" scene from "Station Agent"), charismatic, vulnerable, funny, etc. He's a couple of years older than Piven was at the time, and more classically handsome -- which I know some people said would be a concern, since a hunky Trevor would create lots of "Why should I date your friend when I can date you?" problems with his potential targets -- but enough of a chameleon that he can downplay it when needed.

Still miles to go before we can sleep on the idea of the remake being on the air, but this is a very positive step, as far as I'm concerned.

What does everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment