Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reaper, "Rebellion": The phone number of the Beast

Spoilers for "Reaper" coming up just as soon as I choose between the tacos and the mail...

Farewell, "State" alums. I'll miss you and your fussy bickering and the way you actually gave "Reaper" direction for a few weeks.

I don't know whether the Demons Next Door storyline was always planned to be this length, or if Ken Marino and Michael Ian Black were only available for a few episodes, or if the strike changed the initial plan, but I think we could have gotten more mileage out of the whole deal. Black's plan for the demons to conquer Satan by being nice was really funny (as was the demon-guilt over their backsliding with the human sacrifice), and the storyline allowed the writers to backburner the Soul of the Week.

But if the storyline ended before I would have liked, at least it went out with a really strong episode. It gave Ray Wise opportunities to play so many shades of Satan (lonely, passive-agressive, then evil). It gave me the first Sock storyline since the Gladys episode that I enjoyed unreservedly (maybe the key is to have Sock get lucky as often as possible), and the first time ever that I haven't minded Ted.

One minor complaint: the previous episode (which I believe was the last one written pre-strike) ended with Sam making the Peter Parker choice of not wanting Andi to get too close to him, and all of a sudden he's fine with her asking him out on a date? Did I miss something?

What did everybody else think?

No comments:

Post a Comment